To help prevent thieves targeting your vehicle and property, consider implementing these security tips:
- Lock your vehicle doors and close all windows.
- Install an alarm or immobiliser and activate it every time you leave your vehicle.
- At night park your vehicle in a well-lit area.
- Park off the road and if possible in a locked garage.
- Use secure car parking facilities where available.
- Remove all valuables from your vehicle. If you can’t, then conceal them in the boot before arriving at your destination.
- Avoid leaving your property in the glove box or centre console – this is the first place thieves look.
- Mark or engrave your property with your driver’s licence number prefixed by the letter ‘S’ for South Australia, ‘V’ for Victoria etc.
- Record the make, model and serial number of electronic equipment, such as GPS devices, laptops and mobile phones.
- Remove registration papers from your vehicle to prevent thieves identifying your home and easily disposing of your vehicle.
- Do not place hand bags, wallets or other valuable items on the passenger seat where they could be easily grabbed.
- Remove your keys from the ignition even if you are gone for a short time.
- At home, don’t leave your keys on the kitchen bench or where they can be easily seen by thieves. Keep them in a safe place out of view.
- Mark key tags with your phone number. Never include your name and address.
- Do not hide a spare set of keys on or in your vehicle.
If you have any information about stolen vehicles or theft from vehicles, call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or make a report from our home page.