Over the past two weeks, thieves have been actively targeting non-residential properties in the Copper Coast area.
Many of the break-ins on local cafes, clubs, sporting facilities and businesses have occurred in the early hours of the morning, with cash and small items targeted.
In one incident, power was cut and a security camera was smashed.
Two or three offenders are involved, all wearing heavy clothing and gloves, concealing everything except their eyes.
CCTV is being assessed and anyone with any information is asked to please contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or report on-line at https://crimestopperssa.com.au
Remember that you can remain anonymous.
Reduce the opportunity for thieves to get into your business by considering these crime prevention security tips:
- Be alert to people who may be observing your business, or who ask questions about how your business runs.
- Ensure all back and side doors and windows are securely locked.
- All doors should be of solid construction, properly installed with all external doors and windows fully secured with quality and regularly maintained locks.
- Keep cash held at counters to a workable minimum and encourage electronic methods of payment rather than cash.
- Never leave large amounts of cash on premises overnight. Do not discuss cash holdings with people who do not need to know.
- Ensure safes are securely fixed to a floor, wall or similar solid object so they can’t be carried out.
- Consider installing security devices, such as motion sensor lights, alarms and CCTV.
- Always activate your alarm when leaving your property and display warning signs that the property is monitored/alarmed.
- Display signs and stickers stating security measures are in place.
- Contact neighbouring businesses and encourage everyone to report suspicious behaviour or vehicles in the area.
- Always report attempted break-ins to police, to help them build a picture of crime in the area.